lol internet

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Naxdy, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Naxdy

Naxdy That Guy
    Staff Member

I don't know what's the deal with Internet in the UK. Perhaps @8ohmy can shed some light on that?

The engineer who installed my phone socket was here on January 9th. BT's website said my internet should be activated either that day, or the day after. I didn't have my router at that time anyway so it didn't matter when exactly they activate it.

Got my router on Thursday, plugged it in, no internets. Maybe not activated yet, so I call them

Put on hold 4 different times because people had to ask around in the departments. Then finally I get out of the queue and the guy says verbatum: "Look, there's no easy way to say this, except for saying it. Basically, there's no more space in the box where you live, so we have to dig up the ground and run a new cable through."

Well, imagine my shock. He then explained to me that they will know the date of this construction work by Jan 18th. That doesn't mean it will get done by then, of course, it only means at that point we will know when it will get done.

Up until now I've been leeching off of some hot spot that's near my apartment, but I can only log in when my laptop is in a very specific position in my living room. It's uncomfortable to say the least.

Regardless, I remained productive and will be pushing a new Mythic Survival update later today :cool:

2. 8ohmy

8ohmy Member
    Legacy Member

The problem is that internet service providers haven't been nationalised yet.

Comrade Corbyn.jpg

3. Naxdy

Naxdy That Guy
    Staff Member

It's crazy. First I had to wait over a month to get the engineer to come by, then they have to dig up the ground for no reason.

The best part is, I now have two phone sockets in my apartment, because the one that was there wasn't connected. Why it is easier to drill a hole through my wall and create a whole new cable than to reconnect the old one is beyond me.